The policy making body of the California Teachers Association is vested in its 793-member State Council of Education of “CTA State Council.” Each State Council Delegate is Elected within designated geographic districts in the State. AEA currently has 3 Delegates who are also members of the AEA Executive Board. If you want to direct CTA policy, this is the spot to invest your time and get a good “bang for your buck.”
What is State Council?
The CTA State Council of Education is the democratic arm of CTA. The Council votes on all legislation on which CTA takes a position – either for or against. We meet four times a year in Los Angeles, spending nearly all of the weekend in committee or general sessions. The members can select which committee he or she would like to join, and most of the time the request is honored. The committees range from Special Education, Civil Rights in Education, Professional Rights and Responsibility, Safety, Language Acquisitions, etc.
Representatives come from a myriad of areas: Pre-K-12, higher education, County schools, school psychologists, nurses, etc. Our members represent all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, political leanings, and each member has an equal say at State Council.
State Council reps are elected for three year terms, and cannot serve longer than nine consecutive years. The Council is a great place to learn and appreciate the democratic process, to truly understand the workings of our State legislature.
Responsibilities of CTA State Council Representatives:
- State Council Reps must attend State Council meetings 4 weekends per year. They must be prepared to participate in the meetings of their committee and the action that is taking place on the floor of the council.
- Written and oral presentations of the information shared at State Council should be prepared to share with the Executive Board and the Rep Council of AEA following each State Council meeting. Other reading materials that come by mail and email between State Council meetings will also be communicated with the Rep Council at each monthly meeting.
- State Council Reps are members of the Alcosta Service Center and are required to attend Service Center Council meetings 4 times per year to prepare for the upcoming State Council meeting.
- State Council Reps are required to participate in Alcosta committees and events such as the Alcosta Leadership Conference, the WHO Award, the School Board Breakfast, and others that may arise as needed.
- State Council Reps are members of AEA’s Executive Board and are required to attend all Executive Board and Rep Council meetings.
- As members of the Executive Board, State Council Reps are responsible for participating in AEA committees such as the PIC/ONE/ACO Teams.